The Rambler

Results of RMS Spelling Bee

Back to Article
Back to Article

Results of RMS Spelling Bee

M. Kitts, Reporter

On January 22, 2019, RMS held its annual spelling bee. After 31 rounds, out of 94 participants, the winner was 7th grader Sophie Sluss, with first runner up being 8th grader and student council president Jaden Jones. Sluss stated, “When I won the bee, I was surprised to win on “Manuscript.” Also, I was surprised because I was not informed it was the championship word.”

To make the spelling bee run smoothly is very much a team effort, but it starts with a single step. “Each year Robertsville Middle School registers with the Scripps National Spelling Bee to be a participating school,” RMS fifth grade teacher Kathy Douglas says. After the school is registered, the school starts to prepare for the bee. “As coordinator, it is my job to set a date for the Spelling Bee, coordinate with the other Language Arts teachers to qualify student participants, work on preparing all the Bee materials and communicating with Mr. Laurendine to have the auditorium set up appropriately,” replied Douglas. “The Spelling Bee is very much a team effort.  Every Language Arts teacher plays a vital role in making the Bee run smoothly, and the administration and front office staff as well as the custodial staff are key members as well. “

If you want to partake in the bee, be prepared to study. Sluss stated, “I got the list three weeks prior, and Noa Duke (Third Place winner) and I got together for four weekends to prepare. Around 10 hours of work went into the spelling bee.”

Douglas suggests, “For students, I would say read as much as you can.  The more you read, the larger your vocabulary and the more exposure you will have to new words which will improve your spelling!”

After her victory, Sophie Sluss will be representing the school at the Regional Spelling Bee in Knoxville in March.

• Results of RMS Spelling Bee

Top Stories

Second Annual STEM Night Set for February 21

• Results of RMS Spelling Bee

News

Opinion on Balanced Calendar Mixed at RMS

• Results of RMS Spelling Bee

News

Renovations Underway at RMS

• News

Renegar Joins RMS Staff as Principal

• Results of RMS Spelling Bee

Top Stories

Nobleman to Visit RMS November 8

• Results of RMS Spelling Bee

News

Rammaroo Returning to RMS

• Results of RMS Spelling Bee

Sports

Tom Hayes Invitational Track Meet Planned for April 13

• Top Stories

Students debate the Salem Witch Trials

• Results of RMS Spelling Bee

Sports

Ram Football Update

• Results of RMS Spelling Bee

News

New teacher approaches!

The Online Newspaper of Robertsville Middle School
Results of RMS Spelling Bee