Second Annual STEM Night Set for February 21

Back to Article
Back to Article

Evelyn Taylor, Reporter

On February 21, 2019, Robertsville Middle School is having its second annual STEM Night. STEM Night is an event where students from all grades, along with their families, can go and learn about science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. STEM Night will take begin in the RMS Gymnasium at 6:00 pm and will end at 7:30 pm. Many groups will be there, such as the RMS Ninjineers, RMS TSA, RMS NASA, and other groups. At STEM Night, there will be prizes to win, activities to do, and so many things to learn!

The groups at STEM Night will be showing kids how different things function. For example, the Ninjineers will have the robot used in the competitions they went to and demonstrate how the robot functions. Bryson Scruggs, the person who is in charge of the Ninjineers and is an 8th grade science and robotics teacher, also stated that there may be a chance for students who go to control the robot! Another group going would be RMS NASA. RMS NASA students are going to be talking about the project they are currently working on called the RamSat program.

The activities that are going to be there will consist of everything including VR and outer space. As stated by Scruggs, “Students will have the opportunity to build paper rockets, structures to withstand a hurricane, paper gliders, as well as having the opportunity to use an electron microscope, tinker with circuits, explore 3D printers, write poetry about space, and that is just a snippet of what you can do!” Students will also have the opportunity to create a rover for Mars and check out virtual reality. Eli Manning, 7th and 8th grade careers teacher and co-sponsor of RMS NASA, also said that there will be so many different kinds of activities that there will be at least one for every person coming to enjoy.

At the end of the night many prizes will be given away, such as a 39″ Smart TV, Doss Speaker system, Fuji Instax camera, iTunes gift card, and gaming headset, according to Scruggs. The way prizes will work is every activity and station you go to you get a ticket. You then put all the tickets you get into the raffle, and they will draw tickets at the end of the night to find out who the winners are. There will also be a mystery grand prize. Manning also stated, “I’m really excited about the prizes and the way the students will have a chance to enter for each prize.”

Many people are excited about this year’s STEM Night and have made many comments on it. One of last year’s participants, eighth grader Dylan Sheets, said that he “enjoyed all the activities at last year’s STEM Night” and is excited about this year’s event. Like many others, he’s looking forward to meeting the Ninjineers and being able to learn new tings from all of the other groups.