Pondering the Tardiness Question

Jamie Swisher, Reporter

Late! Everyone has been there before, hurrying down the halls, trying to get class when BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! The late bell rings at fourth period and you get a late check on your records for the day. This seems to happen on a regular basis on the way from third period in the 8th grade. Most of the time, it’s because of the long distance walk from one part of the school to the other, other times can be placed on the students.  

One of the problems of this is the isolation from the other halls; this makes the journeys from one place to another harder than it needs to be. It also does not help the students get ready for high school since the students go through the entire school and not just small selected areas, meaning they are getting prepared for a false reality. In High School the classes are all over the place, enabling the mixing of grades.  How Robertsville makes the grades stay separated effects the readiness and timeliness of a student, no matter if they rush or take their time.  It affects the readiness of the student by disabling them from getting the full experience needed to ‘survive’ high school. Without the proper knowledge, most kids would struggle to get to each class. Mercedes, from the 8th grade, said that the rule against going through other grades’ hallways “cuts us off from getting in class on time.”

Unlike most grades in Robertsville, 8th and 7th grade are further away from their rotation classes. This makes the students more likely to end up late for these classes because they are limited the ability to walk through the hall freely — or they were unable to make it out of class in time, sharing the blame with the rule, along with the students.