The Rambler

Les Miserables

Carleigh White, Reporter

Most of you would recognize Hugh Jackman as the well-known superhero, Wolverine. However, in director Tom Hooper’s new movie Les Miserables, he plays the infamous Jean Valjean.

Through a character named Father Myriel, Valjean becomes a different man after being released from prison. Being a new man, Valjean changes his identity and builds a new, successful, prosperous life as a mayor.

Another main character, Fantine, played by Anne Hathaway, is the mother of a hidden child. When Fantine’s employer finds out about the secret child, Fantine is immediately kicked out to the streets. Hard times fall upon Fantine and Cosette, her daughter, as Fantine struggles to raise money to support a family. Hathaway won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance as Fantine.

After Fantine’s death, Jean Valjean takes Cosette in as an adopted daughter. A police officer, Javert, discovers Mayor Valjean’s true identity. Valjean does everything he can to keep Cosette safe including going into battle to save Marius (played by Eddie Redmayne).

All in all, the movie was amazing. I would recommend this movie for someone who is into drama and singing. Les Miserables was nominated for an Oscar in 2013 but lost Best Picture to the movie Argo.

Carleigh White, Reporter

Carleigh White is an 8th grade student at Robertsville Middle School; She participates in the Journalism class, Lady Rams Volleyball, RMS Ski Club. She...

The Online Newspaper of Robertsville Middle School
Les Miserables