The Rambler

Coaching Boys Into Men

“Many people judge athletic accomplishments by counting wins and losses, but some coaches will tell you that their legacy is much more personal,” said John Spratling, fifth grade teacher at RMS. Spratling and Kwayu Graham are coaches at Oak Ridge High School. They have a program that they started at the beginning of the year called “Coaching Boys Into Men.”

“Coaching Boys into Men (CBIM) is a violence prevention program for athletic coaches designed to inspire them to teach their young male athletes about the importance of respect for themselves, others, and particularly women and girls.” Says Spratling. According to both Graham and Spratling, millions of lives are affected everyday by men abusing there significant other and its their mission to help stop that by educating this generation of boys.

It turns out that even teenage boys abuse their girlfriends everyday.

“Teenagers, like adults, sometimes experience violence and abuse in their young relationships as well. In fact, 1 in 3 teenagers report knowing a friend or peer who has been physically hurt by their partner,” says Spratling. Just because you are young, that doesn’t mean that people your age don’t get hurt by their girlfriend or boyfriend. It doesn’t have to be physical; it could be emotional. That’s one of the main reasons Graham and Spratling started this program. They wanted to be boys’ mentors and guide them through what it takes to treat a lady like she matters to society.

“Athletic coaches can play an influential role in the lives of young men, often serving as life-long mentors to the boys they coach. Because of this unique relationship, coaches are poised to positively influence how young men think and behave on and off the field. Whether it’s in talks with the team, practice sessions, game days, or simply casual conversation, coaches have numerous opportunities to teach early and often that violence has no place in relationships,” says Spratling.

If you have something that’s going on in your life that you need help with, go to your coach. They are the ones who help guide you through your problems and they give you the advice you need. Especially in your relationships.

If you have any questions, you are more than welcome to contact:

John Spratling : [email protected]

Kwayu Graham : [email protected]

The Online Newspaper of Robertsville Middle School
Coaching Boys Into Men