The Rambler

Big Change to TSA at Robertsville

Michaela Foertter, Reporter

Robertsville Middle School’s very own TSA has recently had a big change. As of the beginning of the 2018-19 school year, Todd Livesay, TSA’s previous sponsor left the organization, allowing two eighth grade teachers, Sandra Burnette & Bryson Scruggs, to take it up.

TSA is not the security workers you see at the airport. Technology Student Association is an organization created to develop skills in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and business education. Every year, students prepare and research for their events. Some events include: inventions and innovations, biotech, digital photography, prepared speech, and more.

The new sponsors had their own thoughts on why they decided to join the club. “I decided to sponsor TSA because I wanted to be a part of an amazing organization that provides STEM opportunities for students,” Burnette said. She also “wanted the opportunity to work with students from different grade levels and students who have a strong desire to explore different areas of STEM.”

Scruggs’s decision was quite different. “I knew TSA was a great program for students interested in technology, but I did not know much about the program itself.” Towards the beginning of the school year, Burnette asked if she was willing to help her out with the program. Scruggs jumped at the opportunity.

The change has been a tough one, but with the help of the old advisors, TSA has come back to what it used to be.

Burnette has enjoyed getting to know the different students’ amazing talents. As Scruggs puts it, “So far, it’s a lot of organizing and getting things going. I think it’ll pick up more as competitions get closer and projects really get ramped up.”

Two students, Maria Sangrey and Lilli Finstad gave their thoughts. “I like TSA because I can do many activities and compete against other teams with a subject I am interested in. It is a fun club that allows me to hang out with my friends while learning about interesting subjects,” Sangrey said. Finstad added, “I like TSA because it gives me a chance to use what I know to compete against other teams and learn other new activities. It’s a fun activity that allows us to connect with other people who have the same interests and have fun at the same time.”

What does this change mean for the future of TSA though? A little less paperwork would be nice for Burnette, although that’s up to the TSA organization. In terms of the group growing, the sponsors’ main hope is to further the education of the students.

As for those possibly interested in the club, Finstad says, “I would recommend this club to anyone who enjoys STEM related activities and is good at putting things together quickly while collaborating with others.” Sangrey added, “I would recommend this club to anyone who is ready to communicate and learn about many subjects for hours at a time.”

For the past three and a half months, TSA has been going strong despite all of the changes that have come its way. Changes may be made, but its goals stay the same: to provide opportunities to anyone interested in STEM, writing, and more. TSA is an incredible organization that is worth looking into.

The Online Newspaper of Robertsville Middle School
Big Change to TSA at Robertsville